The Cancer Grrrl

one lawyer, one cancer diagnosis, one hell of a fight.

Monday, July 03, 2006

running on toxins


Pleased to report that I ran 2.5 miles yesterday and, in spite of the heat, felt pretty good. According to the bf, who accompanied me, I was going at a good clip. I have, for the duration of chemo, retired my sdm (speed/distance monitor) pod, because I cannot stand to see how slow I'm going these days, so it was good to hear that I was at least not going at too much of a snail's pace.

for those of you who wonder, my actual running form (muscles, etc) doesn't seem to have been affected much, which is sorta surprising, considering the bilateral mastectomy. I guess managed to keep some core strength with yoga, so things are relatively smooth, if maybe a tad too loose. However, of course my wind is not so great, and I tire easily in the lungs, but surprisingly not in the legs. Maybe I'm just not running enuff to tire my legs. Also, the tiredness is different than just being out of shape. It's more like an inability to recover or something. Hard to explain.

At any rate, today the blues hit. I went to work, but left early. I don't like 4th of July that much. Halloween is my preferred holiday. I like the cold, the night and the costumes. July 4 is a blatant, hot, loud, summertime celebration. Makes me feel like heading to some deserted, fog bound, Orkney type island.

Or, it could just be that I've got some unspecified melancholia, brought on by iron poor blood and the absence of toxins to fight.

Tomorrow I will run again, and promise not to overdo it (as if such a thing were possible...! I can barely make it my 2.5 miles). Then, Thursday is chemo #2, and it's back to the fight...

UPDATE: Tues, july 4: I ran 2.4 miles this morning. Yes, I confess I used my sdm and I was going at a decent rate for most of the run. Right now I feel...dare i say it, almost good? anyway. hot and muggy here. happy 4th.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hot and muggy sounds reasonably nice to tell you the truth - it's cold and foggy here in Edinburgh. So much for our Scottish summer.

    Orkney: well, today is cloudy, max temp 14 degrees - or at least so says the BBC weather site.

    Happy holidays - keep well

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger abigail said…

    14 C degrees? Sounds pretty good to me. We're 90 F here (approx 32C) and about 90% humidity. Not to mention 10 million people... Good ole NY...!

    lor

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    Hey there. I really can't believe you're running (fast, even). I'm truly in awe. I hope you enjoyed the 4th, if not for the holiday, for feeling good. Finally cooled down here in CO... Yeah! (although I'm not sure what it is in C)
    Can you email me if you get a chance? calaneve@yahoo.com
    cheers!!
    cn

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gordon's Cancer Comic gave me a great marketing idea: humorous cancer t-shirts! I made a tentative stab at logo design. What do you think? We could make millions!

    Cancer logo scheme

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is scary. i was just diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I'm 45 years old. I started my first treatment of AC on June 22nd and my second today. I'll be taxotere the 2nd half. Total of 8 treatments, every 2 weeks. I had a lumpectomy. Tumor was 1 cm slightly er+, her2 -. A slice of my tumor was sent to California for oncotype test. I didn't do well. It said the rate of a distant reoccurance was 25 - 34% within 10 years. I had a reaction to pre-chemo meds and had the worst headache I had my entire life for about a week. I haven't slept too much in the last 2 weeks. I was given vicoden which made me itch. I was also given and anti-anxiety med and lunesta for sleeping. I had chemo today and I the pre-chemo meds were changed. I thinked they helped. I see an acupunturist tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. It's amazing that you can go jogging. I'm impressed. I hope things go more smoothly for you.

    Marilyn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home