The Cancer Grrrl

one lawyer, one cancer diagnosis, one hell of a fight.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

FX 2: out of the valley of the shadow...


Well, what's not to love about chroncling every single one of one's minutest physical reactions to something as momentous as chemotherapy? The gross details, lovingly embellished, delivered in hushed tones, capable of rendering the strongest individuals blanched of face, and in awe of the person undergoing such torment...

...heh. well, I'm not gonna get as gross as I'd like to, but here's an update on my first chemo experience:

As you know, I had chemo last thurs. Friday I was pretty much ok, just a slight loss of appetite. Saturday I was downright queasy, but otherwise ok, I could run, but couldn't eat! Sunday I was exhausted, queasy and felt otherwordly, limbs not cooperating. Sorta wobbly.

So, then we head into Monday.
Monday, I woke up feeling AWFUL. by far the worst so far. Nausea and exhaustion. Mostly exhaustion. I discovered that I craved boiled potatoes if you can imagine such a thing (I'm a spiceaholic from way back. But chemo has made me not even want salt...). I went to work. Almost turned right around and came home, I could not get going. And, i had a decided case of chemo-brain. Foggy... Since I am supposed to be a lawyer, I am presumed to at least be able use my brain at work. So this was not so good.
I left a bit early, and came home. I crashed at 8pm.

And woke up today, Tues, feeling almost human. I went to the gym and ran for about 20 minutes before work, and that felt pretty good. The nausea abated a lot too. There are a lot of things I can eat now, without getting royally grossed out.

So the upshot is that days 3 & 4 seem to have been the worst. I think one or 2 more days of hitting the sack super early are in order, but I think I'm good...until NEXT TIME....

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For me it was boiled potatoes, no butter, no salt, and jello. Big bowls of jello. Two foods I didn't normally eat. But that was what I could eat with success. Are things smelling different to you? I swear I could smell the drugs in my body.

    Oddly, I have been fond of plain boiled potatoes ever since, now four years plus past treatment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home