The Cancer Grrrl

one lawyer, one cancer diagnosis, one hell of a fight.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

assumption of risk

The news yesterday that I am, as far as medical science can detect, actually cancer free, doesn't really change anything but my emotional state. Because I had an "agressive" cancer, I still get chemo, I still have to do "agressive" battle to nuke any lurking potentialities, any hints or thoughts of cancer that may be subtly forming in my rather mercurial cells. The oncologist told me: "You don't have cancer any more as far as we know, but we're going to assume you do. If you really don't have it, then this keeps you that way. If you do, then we hope this gets rid of it."

It's funny to get treated for a disease that, to my mind, is over and done with, especially treated with such heavy artillery. However, although I'm not generally in favor of preemptive strikes, in this case, I'll adopt way more self-serving politics. When it comes to my cancer, I say nuke 'em all. Let god sort 'em out.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    You put it perfectly.
    Before my first chemo, my father-in-law said I should imagine 8 birds lined up on a fence and after each chemo round I could imagine shooting one off (very warm and fuzzy, that guy).
    Nukes work too.
    I am thinking of you a lot today and wishing you well.
    All my very very best.
    cn

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger abigail said…

    Ha, I love it. Except that I'm an animal lover, so the birds wouldn't work for me, I'd have to imagine shooting something else....hmmm...I'll work on that!

    best to you too! Word has it you have finished chemo... good for you!

    lor

     
  • At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Abigail,

    This is Carolyn's sister, Tracey. I love your sense of humor and attitude.. plus you are a hockey fan, so you must be a wonderful person :) Sorry the Oilers lost, they had a great run!

    Best of luck to you as you start chemo! Take good care of yourself..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home