The Cancer Grrrl

one lawyer, one cancer diagnosis, one hell of a fight.

Monday, June 05, 2006

uncle onc

I went for my first visit to an oncologist today. The reception area looked like a japanese restaurant and all the patients were old. It unnerved me. There were signs saying "our patients are prone to massive horrific infection so please do not sneeze or cough or breathe in here..." (not verbatim of course. heh).

But the onc was nice, very positive and rather cheery. I like it when people don't go all serious on me. He laid out the treatment, which is pretty much as I expected, i.e. 4 months of "dose dense" AC chemo, Then herceptin for a year. I'll put in the whole technical jabberwocky when I get it in front of me.

But, before I go thru all that, I have to have bone scans and cat scans to see if the cancer has spread anywhere. Of course, no one thinks it has, but they want a baseline to be sure. I, of course, am totally freaked by this... what if...nevermind. Not gonna go there right now. anyway, lance armstrong survived after extensive metastasizing, and i have the same birthday as he does. YEP! Me and lance. (well, different year tho.., guess who's younger?)

At any rate, that was today.

I also got the seroma drained again. More needles, i told the PS that I felt like St. Sebastian.

The PS told me I can start exercising again next week! woo hoo! probably not running right away but I'm gonna try to swim and maybe deep water running or some biking. It will feel so freakin good. Walking just does NOT count as exercise in my book. For chrissake. I mean I've been walking 45 min to 1.5 hrs per day and it doesn't feel like i'm doing anything.

ok enuff whining.
onward & upward

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger princessoctober said…

    I hope all is going well, reading this blog is helping me understand more about breast cancer...thank you. My bestfriends mom who was my 2nd mom died when we were 16 from breast cancer. I was in denial through most of it. I ran in denial and never wanted to talk about it or learn about it. For some reason I found this blog and read it in its entirity, thank you so much for writing about it so matter of factly. I learned more than I thought i would and actually didn't turn away out of anger and fear. I still think of her every day, but, know more about what she went through and understand some of the terms.
    So, my hats off to you and may you come through it all like a champ..you've gone this far, keep it up. I thank you very much for making a blog to share this all with the world.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger abigail said…

    Hi princess,

    thanks for your kind words! there are lots of good blogs by people going thru this. Check out my sidebar, and I'll post more as I find them.

    cancer treatment has changed a lot since when your best friend's mom had it. Now, it's very treatable, even late stage, and they have made great strides in treatment even in the past year. So it's not as bleak as it could be.

    again, thanks, and take care

    abigail

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lor
    Great Post.
    It must be an oncologist thing to be atrociously cheerful to everyone they meet. Ours was the same.

    Marjory was offered the choice of having bone scan, liver scan etc or not. We discussed it and chose not to. The oncologist pointed out that the treatment plan would not be changed in any way by the results. Still chemo, still radiation, still herceptin, still waiting, still wondering, still ... - you get the picture.

    We figured that it would just leave us pretty screwed up mentally if the result was bad news. If we're unlucky and recurrence or spread is going to show itself in a few years then we might as well be blissfully ignorant in the meantime - it'll be much easier to live our lives that way.

    We concluded that if there was spread of the disease now then it would either be cured by the chemo - or not. Us knowing about it in advance won't change the outcome in any way. Also, if the scans are normal now that doesn't mean that spread won't happen later. (Its a real sh** of a thing this isn't it!)

    I guess its all a matter of personal choice and personal ways of coping with things. But do give it some thought. Don't have scans for the oncologists "baseline" benefit if it won't help you personally! Sound him out again about it?

    Great news about your running.

    Stay strong

    Gordon

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger abigail said…

    Gordon,

    Yeah, I agree with you. In fact I asked the onc why we needed to do the scans. He said that if they were positive, we would do different treatment. Not different in what I'd get, but he probably wouldn't do the dose-dense chemo, he'd do the 6 month one. So, I guess there is a difference. I'm with you tho, I really don't want to know until after treatment...

    Thanks for your comment
    lor(abigail)

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yup - that probably makes sense.

    Marjory is scheduled for the six month treatment with CEF and then Taxotere - so there probably is a difference. Belt and braces I guess.

    Best advice to anyone reading this: find an oncologist you feel you can trust, listen to their advice, and then follow your own instincts about it. Always follow the path that works for you.

    Gordon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home