The Cancer Grrrl

one lawyer, one cancer diagnosis, one hell of a fight.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

eats, poos and stays...

I may be overdoing it a bit. In my continuing quest to convince myself of my health and invincibility, I am working full time, training for a triathlon (and actually training as though I were a healthy person), and , in a move worthy of florence catingale, have taken over the care and feeding of yet another cat, but this one has....good god dare I say it...breast cancer.

Yep. a rescuer that i work with found poor little Honey (i didn't name her, guys, lay off), in really bad shape in a courtyard. Although she is an adult cat, she weighed about 4 lbs, had thyroid counts off the charts, and a large, ulcerated mass on her chest. That was 3 weeks ago. Now, she lives in my former home office room, where she occupies a now soft t-shirt covered desk newly devoid of computers, eats like a princess, takes thyroid meds, and runs around chasing my other cats who treat her like an interesting yet frustrating oddity (does she like us or doesn't she? will she play or won't she? is she serious when she hisses or isn't she?)

And, tomorrow she goes for her mastectomy. Yes, cats get them too.

The rescuer and I are told we are crazy for doing this, b/c her prognosis is not great no matter what we do. But, my god. the little cat is so full of life. Even at her lowest point she'd get up on you and demand petting. She apparently was catching mice even as her counts were skyrocketing, and her tumor was growing. So, she wants a chance. And, she'll get it.

Well, I have to confess, the only reason I went to law school was to be a good provider for cats. So, she gets her chance.

Like I have mine.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, will you be taking her with you to chemo now? Sharing your IV with her?

    That's a great picture.

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Blogger abigail said…

    for the record, I am DUN wit chemo. I get herceptin now, which is not chemo.

    but yes, i still go to the chemo cafe. maybe they'll let honey sit next to me...

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger E. McPan said…

    Awww...

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    prosthesis or recon? she'll need an itty bitty kitty titty. oh, I crack myself up...bc humor and all.
    seriously, sounds like good karma to me. Patrish

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger abigail said…

    haha, she's opting for the flat look. very chic this year anyway, haven't you heard? boobs are so last year...

    glad you're commenting again patrish..
    l/a

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    boobs are out?? dang, why didn't anyone tell me, coulda saved myself a lot of trouble, had a diep last month. I was hip, and didn't even know it. lemme guess, bald is chic now, too. and here I am with hair again. must start reading Vogue, now. Patrish

     

Post a Comment

<< Home